Monday, April 30, 2012

Dad's Day Off

I decided to extend my first post-tax season/b-day party weekend through Monday, so I had all day to hang out with Miss Priss. It turned out to be a really good call because our little girl picked this afternoon to start walking! She'd been taking steps for a few weeks, but she went nuts today!

Lish took her to wish her Mia a happy birthday(congrats on 70 Deb! =) ). She didn't feel like sleeping so skipped her afternoon nap, and we played upstairs while mommy took a nap. We were goofing off on the floor, and all of a sudden she stood up and started staring across the room. She saw her pacifier on my recliner, and it was like a light bulb went off. She stood up and took about ten shaky steps to go and get it. She was so proud of herself that she turned around and waddled back! I called Lish up, and we spent an hour or so watching her walk all over her playroom. Like her dad, I think she responds to "positive reinforcement" so we bribed her with animal crackers, and this was the result:




When she finally had enough, Lish was going to make her a bedtime bottle but I forgot to tell her I had used all the milk. I received a well deserved lecture on adding things to the grocery list, which would have been fine if I hadn't opened my mouth...

Lish does an unbelievable job of taking care of us, and during my lecture she reminded me that she is " the COO of the house" and "makes sure we have enough of everything from groceries to toilet paper."

At that point I decided to chime in that she sounds more like a "lunch lady/janitor combo than a COO." Bad idea. Luckily, I was across the room and she couldn't find anything heavy enough to throw at me that would have done any serious damage.

I married a good woman though, so I only got swipe from her book (paperback too!) before she was laughing it off. I'm very thankful that we laugh as much as we do, and usually don't take ourselves too seriously. I think over the past year we've learned that parenthood is something you can't really be completely prepared for, and you kind of have to learn as you go. We are certainly learning on the fly, but looking forward to year two.

No comments:

Post a Comment